Friday, April 9, 2010

"The Postmistress" by Sara Blake



I just finished this fine novel set in the early 1940s. The USA setting is Cape Cod but one of the characters is a radio reporter covering the war in Europe and the settings there are just as real. Look for the big picture here. It's a bit of all over the place but it's in control.

I almost gave up on it on page 22 when my editor/critic came upon this sentence: "Anyone watching - and everyone was, Emma Knew it, it was a small town, after all, and she had to be the topic of most dinner tables, why not? she was young and fairly attractive and he was their doctor! - anyone watching would probably notice how easily the two fell into step as if they'd been walking together for years already."

I'm glad I didn't. It would have missed out on this. To be honest I bought it because Kathryn Stockett recommended it. Kathryn wrote "The Help". I sent my copy on to my friend Carolyn Kirchner, who will pass it on to her sister, who will share it with her two neighbors. This is the route "The Help" took and it was fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment